I received a jury summons for a deceased person. What should I do?

We apologize for any undue hardship this has caused. Please complete an application to be excused from jury duty for the deceased person and submit it to the Clerk of Courts. We will be sure to take the name out of our system. You should also contact the Board of Elections to make sure they have been notified that the family member is deceased. Otherwise, the name will remain on their records, allowing us to have access to it each year when new jurors are pulled.

Show All Answers

1. How are jurors selected?
2. What are the requirements for being a juror?
3. What is the difference between a petit juror and a grand juror?
4. How do I know when to report?
5. How long will I be reporting for jury duty?
6. Is it possible that I might report for service but not sit on a jury?
7. How many jurors must agree on a verdict?
8. I received a jury summons from Shelby County and I no longer live in Shelby County. What do I do?
9. I received a jury summons for a deceased person. What should I do?
10. I've been called several times for jury duty and yet I know a lot of people who have never been called. Why?
11. Do I have to respond to the jury summons?
12. I have a medical and/or work problem and can't serve jury duty. What do I need to do?
13. I can't serve as a juror at this time of the year. Can I serve later in the year?